Monday, November 30, 2009

keep track of time

It seems I have set up a "free form" blog here without a theme. What is a blog? I'm so not a computer guy that I shouldn't even have a blog. The word "blog" is actually short for "web log". A web log is just a computer diary that others may or may not see. I keep a written journal. In a composition book in longhand. It's just a few lines about each day. This blog is not that. This blog is a "feature" sort of thing where each post exists by itself. Like an op ed column. I also have a log book for my flying. A pilot's log. A pilot's log is a great thing. You keep a record of your flights. Do other hobbies and professions keep log books? Let's say you're an ice skater. You just log in every time you skate. You may add up your time to thousands of hours. I guess when you have "hours" that you work at a job, your employer sort of logs them for you. Moms, how many hours does it take to raise a child? Could you log it? I bet moms know how many hours they spent in labor. I just asked my wife that question. She said 34 hours. God, that sounds long! I have a different logbook for my glider flying. I'm a beginner in gliders and you log both minutes and number of flights. I'm just two flights away from having my 100th glider flight. When I was starting out in aviation it mattered how may "hours" I had. You had to have 40 hours for a private license. 200 for commercial. 1500 for airline, etc. Later, once I got a job with the airlines, it didn't matter how many hours I had. But I liked logging the time so I continued to do it. There's an old saying about God not counting against your life any time spent on a horse. Or piloting a plane. Or making love. One of my favorite things to do is give a first flying lesson to someone. I have a stack of logbooks on the shelf and I give out 1 or 2 a year. After that first lesson, the new flier is a "student pilot" because his logbook says so. Maybe I should log my time "writing". It takes me a couple hours to write a blog post that can be read in a couple minutes. If I get 1500 hours writing, can I be a professional writer? A light plane owner like myself might fly his plane 100 hours a year. In the last twelve months I flew my Piper about 60 hours. I flew my little "Cadet" about twenty hours. My total flying time from my first lesson in July of 1966 till now is 24,700 hours. It's really 24.8 but I like to say "twenty- four- seven" because it's easy to remember. I hope you like my new blog, sorry I reverted to aviation but...... Religion is coming! uh oh. Lloyd Lou ITTY :::::+:::::

No comments:

Post a Comment