Monday, July 19, 2010

The past and future are just illusions

I think the best way to live life is "in the moment". I'm not saying that I do that much. This time of year is my favorite time because I still have autumn to come yet. Autumn is my "real" favorite time. Actually, my favorite time of year is late summer when I feel the first sign of autumn. It might be a breath of cool wind, just a hint, from the north. It might be a tree I notice beginning to change. It might be a store full of school supplies, or a vendor with too early Halloween stuff. It's hard to explain about a favorite time without referring to this "in the moment" concept. You see, this post fourth of July mid summer period means that the dog days of August are around the corner. At that time, Autumn will be next. So since it's hard for me (and everyone else) to live in the moment, I enjoy the time before the moment. Somehow I can be in that moment easier than the "real" moment. Maybe this makes no sense...... but this is really why we like Friday so much. It's not because we like being at work on the fifth day in a row. It's because of Saturday coming. But on Saturday, we'll be too busy doing our Saturday R & R to be "in the moment" and say to ourselves "gosh this is nice, just what I have been looking forward to. I'm happy now". So what I'm saying is that I love the "ides" of July because I'm looking forward to the "dog days" where I can really start looking forward to Autumn. Talk about dwelling on the future. But I'm getting better because I "practice" living in the moment. Right now I'm typing at you and it's what I want to be doing and I'm enjoying it. I "feel like" doing it. Being retired, much of my time is my own and there are few responsibilities which I must dwell on because they loom in the future. Time is a wonderful gift. But alas, the things that we have, we don't value as much as we should. We often wind up overvaluing the things we don't have. It seems I enjoy looking forward to an event more than I enjoy the event itself. This will be true of my "fly-in" on August 14th. If you come and see me here, remind me that my preparations and looking forward are over, and that I can and should "be here now". It will be in the "dog days". My favorite "time". LLITTY...........::::+::::

No comments:

Post a Comment