Friday, December 11, 2009

Not even Winter Yet

Lakeland is about four months away. The days will start getting longer in only ten days. I was walking around by the airstrip and it's really soggy. A great sunset tonight and the winds died down. It's so wet that my cellar sump pump is running on and off, all the time. It's so wet that we have a new pond in the side yard. It sure looked pretty in the sunset. I want to get the M-10 Cadet out of here tomorrow to take it flying and show it to the guy who is buying it. The winds are forecast to be out of the west at 5 to 15 mph. I may take off downwind tomorrow to try to avoid the sloppy spots on the strip. I figure if the take off roll doesn't suit me I can just stop or I can hop on down to the east end and stop and take off back to the west into the wind. The strip looks pretty nice except for the soft spots. I don't want to make any new ruts. After I fly a bit, I think I'll leave the M-10 over at Cambridge. Wife can pick me up. Then I won't have to fool around with the strip till it dries out. Except I will be bringing the Cherokee back at some point. A couple of weeks ago I flew a sailplane around up at Smyrna. It was sunny and dry and calm wind and cool. I thought there might be some lift. Or a little lift. But it was a sled ride. A sled ride is when you just glide back down to the airport. You're a glider. I enjoyed the ride and asked my tow pilot mentor for another tow. This other guy Barry was there too. Barry took the glider up and he didn't find any lift either. So I took my second sled ride. It was great. Not much else in flying goin on here. I may do a flight or two to Carolina in the Piper. I'll do a Cadet flight to Easton for the transponder check. That's about it. So I'll tell a story or three in my coming posts. I guess about Dynamo Dave. And one about me checking out on the mail. And one about Garrett County. If anybody should ask me if I've done anything "Christmassy" I may reply, " Well I've had a sled ride or two".

No comments:

Post a Comment